Subject: Re: [Leica] Special Edition M6s
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 01:33:00 -0400

<<So while the notion of collectors maintaining the value of our precious
leicas may seem attractive,  I do not see in what way those collectors with
their Ein Stuck, Rooster, LHSA, M6J bodies, double ASPH 35 summiluxes and
single ASPH Noctiluxes, and Thambar lenses, and what have they is
contributing to the good value of the leicas that you and I are using
everyday.

I would  like to put to you that Leica is keeping its value because the
camera is a reliable device which, being mechanical, works day in and day
out without reliance on batteries and often troublesome electronics.  It is
hardy and one can find a 40 year old camera in GWC capable of giving years
of good service if well cared for.  The design is elegant and aesthetically
pleasing.  There are numerous models to choose from, and in various
conditions to suit individual budgets.  Every one is well supported by a
vast range of lenses, which when found in good condition, are all capable
of producing good pictures.   The M camera, being faster in terms of
response time, is also capable of pulling in those shots and expressions
which are not possible with an SLR.  For others, there is that special
chemistry which develops into a form of personal relationship with their
leicas.  In short, even in the absence of collectors, Leica is capable of
selling itself and keeping its value.>>

How many canons, nikons and others have as many (in proportion!) limited
editions that are (not collectors pieces now) purposely marketed and
presented to be collector's pieces?
Isn't this relatively high number an indication of the respect for M's?  It
sure beats the collectable elph!  Or (I just broke it...) the limited
stylus.  The only benefit of the limited stylus is that it IS useable.  But
not for long because you throw it across the room - mine broke because I
ripped the film insertion thing off the camera.
In any case if I were to collect M's I would end up (as someone posted)
using them.  It would be rough - the first two or three scratches but then
it would be fun.  Not gold maybe - but platinum?  Walk into a coin shop and
show them the camera.  They no doubt have a little coin with more platinum
content but they are quite bored with them.  It's fun to show off a picture
and then throw in a few M-liners.  If you got a platinum and you can shoot
with it from the hip - and yer good - you got a good thing going.