Subject: [Leica] Re: Using polarizers w/Macro Elmarit
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 09:21:06 -0700

I had my E60 60/2.8 converted to E55 in the early 80's. Cost $75 then. I
now have a 60/2.8 that is E60 and I will not have it converted. I like it
the way it is. The E60 version will take a filter AND a shade. When you put
a filter on the E55 version, the glass is sitting right out there waiting
to cause flare. You cannot use a shade to shade the filter. Yes, a brand X
screw-in shade would work, but the E60 version is simply easier all around.
There is nothing wrong with the E60 filter size. B+W, Heliopan, & Leica
cover most everything in E60 and most large Leica dealers stock a good
supply. I've never ever had a problem getting a particular E60 filter.

Jim