Subject: Re: [Leica] Special Edition M6s
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 06:38:23 +0000

Bill Rosauer wrote:
>I commisioned the black paint LHSA camera not just to be another
>commemorative camera, but a camera that can be used.  We are not buying any
>fancy box or special lens with this issue.  The biggest attraction will be
>its black paint finish over brass, just like the original black paint M's.
>We are looking to doing 300-500 cameras.  It will all be very discreet with
>engraving on top very similar to the black paint M4.  Unfortunately, we
can't
>do it based on the classic M6 as planned, as Solms used up most of the
>cameras I had reserved for the 150 years optical issue.  Pricing, as
dictated
>by Solms, will be in the $3000-$3500 range.  If one chooses to use the
camera
>or keep it as a collectible will be up to the individual.  But my intention
>is that the camera can be used.

At about $3000 per piece, which is not shockingly more than a new M6, it
can qualify to be a user.  The pitiful thing about leicas ia that, unlike
well-faded jeans which can fetch more than the brand new product, the
cameras never get to see even a roll of film through their bellies.  Who
knows what earth moving pictures it could have missed recording by
remaining in virginal status in the hands of those pitiful collectors.
Maybe it's time to see a little exposed brass behind the black paint
(meaning that this camera has seen some decent "action") as desirable as
the untouched product.

Dan K.
                    "A fool and his money are soon parted."