Subject: Re: [Leica] another dumb question
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 12:43:17 -0700

omegaman wrote:

> Alex Brattell wrote:
><snip>
> > What does the 'f' in f-stop stand for?
><snip>
> Alex:
> The "f" in f-stop stands for focal length.  If you have a 50mm lens and
> have it set at f/8, then the product of 50/8 (50 divided by 8) is the
> size of the opening made by the iris.  In this example the lens opening
> at f/8 is 6.25mm.  100mm at f/16 has also a 6.25mm opening.
> Randolph Carlisle

It's lucky people especially beginners don't know that. I wouldn't bandy that
info around.
So you are closing or opening the little aperture thing and what does F stand
for? Length!
Pretty metaphysical! No wonder that is on a need to know basis!

But it's really on the same level as talking about the "speed" of a lens.
Another curveball.
It's like a bunch of photographers got together and came up with doubletalk
terminology designed to keep people out.
"Oh no I'm not just clicking this thing I've got all this metaphysical mumbo
jumbo going on."
Mark Rabiner