Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Shooting vs capturing images
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 22:05:27 +1000

Mike Quinn wrote:

> Phlogiston! Of course! I'd wondered where it had all gone.
> Is that why old leicas are better? The phlogiston builds up inside and then
> illuminates the subject with even higher resolution when it's finally
> released!
> I suppose, if you want exposure consistency, you might have to trip the
> shutter at each speed a few times to get rid of the excess buid-up...
>
> All is becoming clear. I guess the choke control on the front of the barrel
> controls how much phlogiston gets back in...
>
>  Thanks very much. This is surely the best and most interesting group on the
> web...
>
> Mike
>
> But is the supply really permanent?...

No its not, I had a model 3F with some pinholes in the shutter curtains. The
Phlogiston
slowly over time leaked out. I just noticed it , when the supply was run down to
about a quarter. Leitz fitted new shutter curtains, and replenished my Phlogiston
supply.

By the way, you can not interchange the Phlogiston in the screw mount cameras with
the one they use in the M cameras. The screw cameras use Phlogiston type XSA and the
M models us type XMA. I just thought I warn you about this. It can be critical.

Regards, Horst Schmidt