Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V10 #36
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 10:30:23 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Harrison, all....
r.e.- your comments on reliability/sync voltages/etc...

In the past I've made comments about the lack of Leica
QC/reliability/repair ability/adjustment/etc, and this always
brings tons of hate mail from 'true believers'.....

I wonder (oh hell, here goes)...if the Doctors/Lawyers/Executive
amateurs are as tolerant of microscopes that break or don't
focus, fax machines that don't, copiers that give unusable
results at crisis times....you get the picture....when your
"bottom line" is affected, you notice....and rude/incompetent
repair service adds to the insult...

I'm truly sorry you had to go over to the "enemy" :) to get
working gear :), but I understand....bet them good lenses are
cheaper, too....

As for the sync problems, it's a damn shame that "professional"
equipment users have to worry about a 283 damaging their gear...
we found about this in school over the last few years....my
lighting class includes a warning NOT to use the Speedotron gear
with the kinds of crap manufactured today....unfortunately, this
includes way more than HALF the students' gear....they're simply
NOT going to buy a $25-50 'adaptor' to protect their junk....so
I let them work with tungsten, instead...

I do use it as a chance to show them my M and Nikon (F/F2) gear...
so they'll at least know that once things were made to last a
lifetime!!---

I trust that the mechanical stuff (contax s2, R6.2, future Ms)
are unaffected by say, 90-100vdc on the sync line?---or do we
have to worry about them, too?

Walt