Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: LEM/NIK or LER/NIK
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 1:37 +0100 (BST)

Dr. Joseph Yao wrote:

> Nikon AF cameras will confirm correct focus when it 'sees' a sharp
> image, regardless whether it has a Nikon lens in front or not.  I have
> just experimented by placing (not mounting) a Summar in front of my F100
> and when I got a sharp image in the viewfinder, the focus confirmation
> light came on.

If a company like Nikon ever did decide to try and make a rangefinder
camera, I'm sure this is how they'd do it.

Rather than putting a complex optical system in the viewfinder, and
producing special lenses with r/f cams on them, rip out the focus
detection and confirmation circuits from one of the AF bodies (but
dispensing with the focussing motors), squeeze it into a smaller body with
a direct v/f. Put 'left', 'in focus' & 'right' focus adjustment LEDs in
alongside the 'over' 'on' & 'under' exposure ones.

Then you have a rangefinder camera that can use the existing manual focus
lenses without modification.

David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk