Subject: Re: [Leica] OT Re: UK magazines
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 15:10:11 -0700

Edward Meyers wrote:
><snip>
> > I thought Popular Photography when it had Cora Wright Kennedy, Bill Pierce,
> > Norman Rothschild and a slew of other Notables with a gravure center section was
> > a heck of a magazine. That is when American Photographer first came out. I used
> > to read both cover to cover the day I got them.
> > Mark Rabiner
> >
> Cora and Norman are no longer with us. Those were the good ole days
> when camera makers advertised in the photo magazines and supplied the
> needed money so that the magazines could do a good job (most of the
> time). In the late 1960s I was the U.S.Editor of Creative Camera, which
> was first called Camera User. From 1971 to 1986 i was the Executive
> Editor at Popular Photography. Worked on the teaching stories, mostly.
> One of my favorites was the Hattersley Class. Hat lives in Texas
> now. If anyone would like to write him snail-mail I can supply the
> address.
> Just send me an E-Mail message. Ed Meyers

There is a crusty older gentleman writing now who reminds me of Hattersley a
great deal. I always read Hattersley.
Few photo writers deal in issues of non-hardware. Brainware; heartware. It's
interesting that the only ones who come to mind are at least in their '70's. I
have the Photography Annual 1970 in front of me now. A writer Jonathan Brand
lives around here who wrote for Pop. Around then and earlier. He was wearing a
Leica in a coffee shop and I approached him a year ago.
Who were some of the others; Len ***, *** Goldberg..., one eminent man died this year.
Mark Rabiner