Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: magazines
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 19:21 +0100 (BST)

D Khong writes:

> I regret to say that AP has not kept up with the times.  Month after
> month
> and year after year (in the past decade or so), the articles are
> "Amateurish", lack content and the pages are now filled with "B" grade
> models.

When looking at UK magazines, and wondering why they're awful, one doesn't
really need to look beyond the word rate they pay. I have no idea what
AP's rate is (since I never followed up the initial discussions I had with
Doug Harman about contributing), but I have worked for US and UK
publications for quite a while now.

The UK ones pay around 25-30% of the going rate for the same piece
published in the US. Worse still the UK publishers can be *dreadful*
at paying their contributors. Payment on acceptance of copy is quite rare,
many pay on publication, or even 30, 60 or more days *after* publication.

Given such poor rewards, it isn't really surprising that a lot of stuff in
the UK is poorly researched and sloppily written.

David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

(Oh, and to get back on topic, got my new Leica loupe today...*gosh* what
a nice thing!)