Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Caps and Coupling Rings
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 08:21:10 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Assuming that you have a "normal" lens (for you) or if you have multiple
bodies, you keep a "set" of normals  (in my case, a 50 on one and
28 or 35 on the other)....usually with a 90 summicron in the bag, used
very little...do you guys actually USE lens caps?.....for example,
if you're shooting, and you want another lens for one or two pictures,
do you bother with caps on the "unused" lens?   or do you not keep
certain lenses on as "Normal?\".....I know this sounds confusing,
but here's what I"m saying:
For years, working or just playing, I'll carry a body with a 35, plus a
90 in bag/pocket (possibly plus a Nikon, but that depends on the task)
If I carry two Leicas, one ALWAYS has the 35 on it....  If I need/want
the 90 for a shot, I take it out of the pouch, drop the other lens
in the bag pocket (with SL filter, face down, but sans rear cap)....shoot
my "90" picture(s), and stick the short lens back on.....just be careful not
to drop/cram anything in the pocket with the exposed lens element....
I, and fellow photogs, have been doing this for 25 years, and no problems.
Of course, there are klutzes out there that scratch/ding EVERYTHING, but
my gear (some of it 30 years old), looks good, with normal "wear", but
no real damage.
Do you folks "unpack" and "uncap" and "repack" etc. between EACH usage?

I'm always interested not only in other's WORK, but HOW they work....their
methods, how much gear, how carried, etc....it's always useful to get new
ideas.

CU later,
Walt