Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 TTL off camera flash operations
From: Lucien <lucien@ubi.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 16:12:02 +0100

Dr. Joseph Yao wrote:

> Dejan V. wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to connect SF-20 Flash to M6 TTL with some kind of extension
> > cord for off the camera TTL operation?
>
> Dejan,
>
> The Nikon SC-17 TTL cord works perfectly.

Dejan and Joseph,

With the SF-20, an much better solution is the small Contax extension cable.
It is shorter, lighter and there is a foot on the extended side that you will
not find on the SC-17.
That cable is prefect with the CTOOM Leitz flash bracket  (1954-59), or any
other bracket with a flash connecting shoe.

Why is o.k. only with the SF-20 + R8 or with any TTL flash + M6 TTL?
Because there is only 2 additional contacts on the Contax cable instead of 3 on
the SC-17.
The contact which is not transmitted is the one for the zooming of the flash
head.
That option is not available on the SF-20 or with the M6TTL anyway.
In the Leica SF-20 instruction book, on page 20/21 about that third additional
contact,
Leica said : '18c : additional  contact (currently not assigned)'.

With the Metz 40Mz2/3/3i + R8, you will need the SC-17, but the problem will be
to attach the cable to a bracket (because of the lack of foot).
The SC-17 offer only a tripod bush (the Contax cable offer also the tripod bush
inside the connecting foot).

That small Contax TTL cable is never far away from the SF20 in my camera bag.

Lucien