Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V10 #23
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:31:15 -0400

I think this may have been suggested already, but eBay allows what are
called Proxy bids, whereby I can tell them, "I'm willing to pay up to
$1,000 for the item, and whenever a bid is made that exceeds mine,
automatically place a new bid from me, up to my maximum".  So from your
perspective, it may look as if I am upping your bid, each time you place it.

One think I am not clear about, is that you say that they meet your bid, to
the dollar, but didn't exceed it.  If this is the case, what prompted you
to make a fresh bid, since if they just matched your bid, presumambly you
would still be high bidder.  Maybe just a misunderstanding on my read of
what you said.

Dan C.

At 12:51 PM 16-07-99 -0700, you wrote:

>But Mark, if you walked into a shop, saw an M6 you wanted to buy priced at
$1,000, would you say to the
>owner "No, I insist on paying $1,600 for that camera" because that's the
limit you set for yourself
>before entering the shop?
>The rightful expectation from buying on ebay is that, beyond reserve
prices, you and your closest
>competitor set the value of the item. If there is little demand, the price
should stay low. If it is
>artificially or nefariously inflated, you've been bilked out of your
savings on a low-demand item.

>And since my original post wasn't clear enough, it concerned, on both
occasions, competitors exactly
>matching my bid, to the dollar (on odd-dollar numbers, i.e. not rounded
figures). They lost to me
>because they didn't exceed my bid, but succeeding in making me pay the
maximum I was willing to pay. I