Subject: Re: [Leica] Prices on E-Bay
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 11:07:57 -0600

"Richard J. Wyble" wrote:

> Excerpts from leica: 15-Jul-99 [Leica] Prices on E-Bay "Doug
> Richardson"@medito (1280*)

> Long, long ago in middle-America as a young child I attended numerous
> country estate auctions with my grandmother. At her side I learned to
> never *ever* display public interest in any item until actually placing
> a bid JUST before the final gavel.<snip>

If I were to add anything to that fine advice, I'd suggest not "jumping
in" on an auction that's about to close, unless you have a very clear
idea of what you are getting yourself into! Too many descriptions are
too brief for my taste. Case in point: A few days ago, a late DS M3
looked like it would be selling for around $520, apparently undented and
in working order. I was tempted! But what exactly do descriptions like
"Very good condition, working good" mean? Does "very good" mean "really
nice", or was it an LHSA "VG" condition, which is ugly? And does
"working good" mean that it'll take pictures if you avoid slow shutter
speeds and focus via the distance scale, or that everything is working
as it should?

Maybe this M3 was a bargain, but there was no time for me to query the
seller. Let's assume a worst-case scenario, whereby the camera's
functional, but really needs work:

M3DS, dim RF, deteriorating shutter: $520
New shutter curtains: $275
Single-stroke conversion: $150
RF assembly repair (let's say it can be salvaged, at $300)
Total: $1245

Now this is a problem, since $1000 will buy me a DS M3 with new top
plate, refurbished RF and new shutter curtains, done by Leica Germany,
and maybe $1400 will buy me an Ex++ M6. Suffice to say, I didn't place a
last-minute bid on the eBay M3!

Jeff