Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Summilux vs. Summicron
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:29:04 -0700

Roger Beamon wrote:

> On 15 Jul 99, Mark Rabiner wrote, at least in part:
>
> > I know I sound like I'm over the deep end but I think it's an insult
> > to the equipment and the people who make it and the people who would
> > kill for it and the people who use it to make a living or otherwise
> > create great photographs with it.
>
> If not over the deep end, at least speaking like a pro who will
> amass a collection of gear in the normal course of their work.
> Pros know that they *will* need that particular item again in the
> future; they just don't know when. The pro also can write off a bit
> of the value of the gear making its continued possession justified.
>
> Many amateurs will budget a hunk of money for their
> hobby/hobbies and jump in and out of gear whimsically. An
> entirely different value system at work. "Insult to the equipment"?
> Hardly! Some heavy duty anthropomorphizing going on, I think. Is
> the implication that the non-pro should donate the no longer
> desired piece to a deserving person who will use it to make a
> living with it or create great photographs with it? Fine, if you want
> to and can afford to. I don't and can't.
>
> > Your frivolous pricey toys are other people's dream tools.
> > You want to trade it in for something suposedly better tell us how
> > exactly it let you down and how you think this new thing isn't goint to.
>
> You make that sound like a command. I might or I might not
> share with you what I feel is wrong with something as I prepare to
> sell/trade it. If I want it and can afford it [in the US, even if you
> can't afford it.  8^) ], you may do it.
>
> Yep, frivolous and pricey toys, the luxury of being an amateur.
>
> --
> Roger
Some excellent arguments Roger but while I am taking the standpoint of a Pro I
am just as much taking the standpoint of a student or under capitalized but
highly motivated fine art photographer dreaming about glass they would not lay
their hands on for years and what they would do with it once the finally got it.
I see my rich friends buying and selling the dreams of my and many a broke
student youth.
My "Insult to the equipment" argument has had people rolling their eyes for
years but it has more and more meaning to me as I go along.
Mark Rabiner