Subject: [Leica] Re: Summilux vs. Summicron
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 08:45:24 -0700

On 15 Jul 99, Mark Rabiner wrote, at least in part:

> I know I sound like I'm over the deep end but I think it's an insult
> to the equipment and the people who make it and the people who would
> kill for it and the people who use it to make a living or otherwise
> create great photographs with it.

If not over the deep end, at least speaking like a pro who will
amass a collection of gear in the normal course of their work.
Pros know that they *will* need that particular item again in the
future; they just don't know when. The pro also can write off a bit
of the value of the gear making its continued possession justified.

Many amateurs will budget a hunk of money for their
hobby/hobbies and jump in and out of gear whimsically. An
entirely different value system at work. "Insult to the equipment"?
Hardly! Some heavy duty anthropomorphizing going on, I think. Is
the implication that the non-pro should donate the no longer
desired piece to a deserving person who will use it to make a
living with it or create great photographs with it? Fine, if you want
to and can afford to. I don't and can't.

> Your frivolous pricey toys are other people's dream tools.
> You want to trade it in for something suposedly better tell us how
> exactly it let you down and how you think this new thing isn't goint to.

You make that sound like a command. I might or I might not
share with you what I feel is wrong with something as I prepare to
sell/trade it. If I want it and can afford it [in the US, even if you
can't afford it.  8^) ], you may do it.

Yep, frivolous and pricey toys, the luxury of being an amateur.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead
     where there is no path and leave a trail.
               -- Ralph Waldo Emerson