Subject: [Leica] Pecker camera
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:26:48 -0700

My Dad bought a QL17 new in Tokyo while our family was on a round-world trip
back in the early 70's.  His old Contax D SLR just got to be too much
trouble to use, I guess.  Though the little Canon delivered thousands of
well-exposed slides, they just didn't look as nice as the Kodachrome 25 he
used to shoot in the Contax.

In later years, the Canonet also got to be too much trouble, and he switched
to a Nikon P&S.

I picked up the QL17 in college, started using it to shoot some theatre
stuff, and discovered the joys of fast-lensed rangefinders.

I've often thought that the QL17 would be te perfect introduction to a
youngster just getting into photography.  They'll get good exposures with
the shutter-priority AE, while getting used to the concept of shutter
speeds.  And, they'll learn how proper camera lenses are focused -- with an
optical rangefinder!

Lastly, as many have already said, they are dirt cheap on the used market!
Fine little camera, for what it is, though...

- --Jim