Subject: [Leica] RE: Pecker camera
From: CAMRALUGGR@aol.com
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 14:28:37 EDT

I own three Canonet QL-17s, none of which I paid more than five dollars for
with case and Canonlite D flash, and am really pleased with their
performance.  I am always amazed at the sharpness and color rendition of the
40mm f/1.7 lens.  More importantly, they flash sync at every speed on the
dial, making outdoor fill flash during brightly sunlit days very simple:
"Sunny 16" rules (or whatever shutter speed vs. f/stop equivalent creates the
same ambient exposure), small, shoe-mouted flash set on manual and shoot.
Within the flash's range, very satisfactory results can be expected.

For a dependable, knock-around, take anywhere, poor-mans Leica CL, this
camera is hard to beat.  Fitted with a Domke Gripper strap, and a rectangular
Vivitar 48mm lens hood  (B&H used department sells them, item # 243548) made
for the Canon AF 35mm Sure Shot (hard-core, anti-filter types can remove the
built-in 1A filter), you will not find a better value, pound for pound, in a
true rangefinder camera.  It goes with me everywhere, along with my M6/35
Summicron/90 Tele-Elmarit.  If it goes over a cliff, I won't be diving after
it as I might with the Leica, but I sure would miss it!

FYI, B&H used to have 46mm versions of the above-mentioned hood which would
probably be interesting to those Luggers who have inquired about such a hood
recently.  It is worth a phone call to them to see if they have any left.

Best regards -- Mike