Subject: [Leica] Re: pecker-cameras
From: wvl <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 17:32:16 -0700

I haven't seen the movie but I looked at the  pecker box in a video
store the other day when I recognized the Canonet on the cover. It was a
Canonet 28, my favorite of the series, which sports "programmed auto
exposure" (read: you have no choice) or manual aperature settings at an
unknown shutter speed for manual flash units. I got mine myself, without
my mother's help, for $10 at a thrift store. I also have number three in
a series of Canonet 17 models which feature optional manual settings, a
six element 1.7 40mm lens, and auto exposure. About a month ago I was
shooting some candids at our town fair with my M6 & 50mm 2.0 Summi and I
decided to shoot a similar roll with the Canonet 28 which I had yet to
test. Results with the Canonet 28 amazed me. Corner to corner sharpness
was superb in 11X14 prints. Not all shots were in bright sunlight which
would mean a midrange or smaller aperature. Some were in open shade,
probably 5.6 or 4. I really wonder if I could tell the difference
between the M6 and the Canonet negs if they had been using the same
films. I tested the two Canonets and a Minox GT a week ago. Under a
loupe the 28 beats the 1.7  and the Minox all from 2.8 to 8. I haven't
made prints yet.There are some nice surprises in those junk boxes at
camera swaps, garage sales, and thrift shops. However, without a drawer
full of 625 mercury batteries you can't get in the game.
Bill Lawlor