Subject: [Leica] Re: Lens shades & caps
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 16:08:52 -0700

I kinda like built-in shades. most of my R lenses have them and I am really
used to them. Pull it out when you want it, push it in when you don't. Push
it in, fiddle with your filter, pull it out, take a photograph. Not really
rocket science. Just common sense. The clip on shades many times don't get
along with filters. You cannot put the shade on over a filter in many cases.

But who uses filters?

Me.

Polarizers, ND, KR3, KR6.

Built-in shades are always filter friendly.

I also always use lens caps. I religiously store the lens cap in my left
pants pocket, or left shirt pocket if I'm sitting down. It's a habit. I've
never lost one yet. If I'm walking and knowing I will not take any
photographs, the cap goes on. When the lens comes off of the camera, both
caps go on immediately. When the lens is stored in a camera bag or vest,
both caps are on. When the camera has no lens, the body cap is on. This is
especially important for R cameras where dust on the mirror and ground
glass screen is really annoying. Lens caps and body caps do a great job of
keeping crud out of the lens and camera mechanisms. That is why they were
made. They do their job well.

Maybe PJ's cannot do this, but it's because of their job. If you are not a
PJ, you can. And should.

Jim