Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica Users digest V10 #15
From: "Jean-Claude Berger" <jcberger@jcberger.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 23:18:14 +0200

Actually, it was a change of the way ASA rating was established.
Between 1941 and 1960, the ASA value represented more or less (I
lack english vocabulary) the contrast of the film between the
point it was recording something and a medium lumination. From
1960, the norm was simplified to represent some fixed (supposely
representative) densities when a given processing was applied.
The ISO norm is more or less a mix of the two methods. In a word,
ISO norm represents the contrast of the film and the second ASA
norm its density.

All the best.

- --
Jean-Claude Berger (jcberger@jcberger.com)