Subject: [Leica] RE: 35 Summicron M vs R
From: Peter Niessen <niessen@ifh.de>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 22:42:14 +0200 (METDST)

Hi Steve,

usually a lens of focal length f should be separated from the
Bildebene by f when focusing at infinity. (This is, as you of course
know, the definition of focal length. Could anyone tell me what
Bildebene is in English?) So, in theory, for f=35mm the lens should be
35mm away from the film plane. In reality, since lenses have to
compensate some errors, they are thicker and the rear lens is a bit
closer to the shutter than 35mm. This is no problem on a rangefinder -
there is no mirror which gets in the lenses way. The 21mm SA is only
8mm or so away from the film! However, in SLR, there is always the
mirror, so some additional optics have to be applied to get the rear
lens element out of the mirrors way.

Cheers, Peter.

P.S. If I remember correctly, on of the early 21mm lenses for the
early Nikon SLRs required a mirror lock up and an external finder,
because this trick was not understood very well.