Subject: Re: [Leica] Talk to me about 50 Summicron vs. 50 Summilux
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:59:46 -0400

I use a screw-on hood on my current model 50mm Summicron (instead of the
sliding hood) and it gives the front lens element a 1/4 inch of additional
protection. I am not real technically minded but from my cine experience you
want to keep the key light (Sun or whatever) as much as possible from coming
anywhere near the front of the lens. On my 16mm Eclair NPR I have a huge
matte box (called a studio rig, which has more hardware on it than I want to
think about) and in addition will use a french flag which I can position
towards the key light (daylight or tungsten). And I can always see the
difference when I screen film with and without the studio rig. So when I
shoot stills I like using big lens hoods. Modern cine lenses have incredible
sharpness and resolution but still suffer from flare. There is alot of dust
in the air and light will reflect off that. Hope that partial explanation
helps a bit.
Steve
Annapolis