Subject: Re: [Leica] Talk to me about 50 Summicron vs. 50 Summilux
From: "Richard J. Wyble" <rwyble@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:09:22 -0400 (EDT)

Thank you for the observation, Lucien.

Firstly, please understand that my questioning is genuinely seeking
informed information, not questioning the experience and wisdom of
anyone other than to learn from it.

That said, I am curious about why the sliding hoods might be regarded as
being less efficient. As point of reference I do use a current 50mm
Summicron with the sliding hood. It seems to me (preparing perhaps to
display my ignorance) that the efficiency of a lens hood is a function
of how well it shades extraneous light from reaching the front lens
surface. A clip-on hood is of larger diameter; a sliding hood is of
smaller diameter; does it not follow that the smaller diameter hood can
provide equal (or superior) shading than the larger diameter clip-on
model, even while *appearing* to be so much smaller and less efficient?

What of image quality of the 50mm Summilux (not the current version, but
one of the older design .. with clip-on lens hood. <grin>) vs. the 50mm
Summicron?

Excerpts from leica: 12-Jul-99 Re: [Leica] Talk to me abou..
Lucien@ubi.edu (396*)

> Bryan Caldwell wrote:
> >
> > Richard,
> >
> > Besides the obvious one stop difference, you will lose close focusing
> > distance with the Summilux. The Summicron focus to .7m and the Summilux to
> > 1m. This can be a big difference to some people, but to others it doesn't
> > matter.

> The new version of the 50/1,4 Summilux focus to 0,70 m.
> But it come with the less efficient sliding lens hood.

> Lucien

  rwyble@erols.com
  Richard J. Wyble