Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V10 #15
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 10:17:10 -0000

Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net> was interested in the film
speeds of the 1930s.

Well according to the first edition of the Leica manual, typical film
speeds of the time were 23 degrees US Scheiner for fast films and 18 -
20 for general-purpose "medium-fast" films.

Using a reference table from Ivor Matanle's book of classic cameras,
that translates to 50 ASA and 10-25ASA respectively, and ASA is the
same numerical value as today's ISO. (I'm always amused when the clerk
in the photo store translates my request for "400ASA Kodacolor" into
today's terms.)

No speed comparison table is ever 100% accurate, the experts tell us,
but the above figures are "good enough for gummint work" as my
father-in-law would say".

 Regards,

Doug Richardson