Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Question....
From: Andrew Moore <moore@rscs.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 13:02:30 -0400 (EDT)

The pre-ASPH 35/2 is a fantastic lens.  I bet you won't regret it.
Especially as a first lens.  In fact, it was my first M lens (two
years ago) and since then I sold it, but I just located another one
and bought it [insert plug for LUGger Ting Lee since he was so great
to do business with; thanks Ting!].  In my opinion it's one of Leica's
best ever -- mainly because of the combination of small size, light
weight, and fantastic optics.  Yes, the ASPH is a bit better at f/2
and f/2.8, but it comes at the expense of increased size and weight.
And you lose two aperture blades -- I like the results (out of focus
highlights) that come from the ten-bladed pre-ASPH design.  Besides, I
think only "we" are the only ones that are so concerned about tiny
differences in sharpness/etc., and the people who are actually our
"audience" -- viewing our photos -- probably don't notice and don't
care -- they're looking at what really matters, the content.  The
pre-ASPH 35/2 is a definite winner.  Buy it and you won't regret it.
If you do, sell it to me -- I wouldn't mind another for a second body
someday!

- --Andrew
no archive