Subject: [Leica] Help: Slide Projector P2002
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 08:47:05 -0400

Cing-Dao Kan <cdkan@ncac.gwu.edu> wrote:

>I am considering getting the P2002 slide projector since Lecia lowered
>its price recently.  I would greatly appreciate user comments this
>projector from the list members.

I bought one from B&H last week, together with a Super-Colorplan-P lens.
The results from projecting my Kodachromes are the best I've ever seen.
A few comments on this projector:

Mine came with a 2-yr. Leica USA Warranty.  When I took the unit out of
the box, I found the voltage selector (on the bottom) set at 240V and
had to switch it to 120V.  Check this before you power on the unit!
When I turned the projector on, the lamp came on but the blower didn't
seem to work.  Also the slide changing mechanism seemed stuck.  (Panic!)
I removed the cover and noticed motor wasn't turning: tugging on the
rubber belt got the motor started and the mechanics sprang to life.
Haven't had any further trouble, everything seems to be working fine now.

The instruction book is sort of scant.  The projector takes DIN or LKM
trays, but there is nothing for beginners such as "How to load slides
into the tray" or "How to install/remove the tray in the projector".
You are already expected to know these things, but if you have used only
Kodak Carousel trays before it might be useful to have this information.

I'd originally ordered the Super-Colorplan-P lens but was sent the older
Colorplan-P by mistake, so ended up with both lenses for a while.  The
Super-Colorplan-P is the better lens and the one to get -- it has higher
contrast and better definition into the corners (Leica part 37085).
However if you are using open slide mounts there will still be some
areas slightly out of focus, and the autofocus feature doesn't always
focus the part of a slide that I want to see in best focus (sometimes in
the middle, sometimes not).  If edge-to-edge sharpness really matters,
then consider glass mounts.

Other minor complaints:  the blower is fairly noisy, but at least you
know it's doing its job.  The light pointer on the remote control unit
isn't very bright ("feeble" is more like it).  There's no dust cover;
you have to order the hood (Leica part 37985, $80 at B&H) or carrying
case (Leica part 37961, $220 at B&H) separately.  There's no
single-slide display facility (you must use a tray).  And of course,
you can't use round trays.

But once I saw the projected results, all was forgiven.
Go for it.

- --
Pieter Bras