Subject: [Leica] M6 backplate film scratching retro
From: "W.Casey" <w.casey@lightningpl.net.au>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 21:10:46 +1000

G'day Luggers

As an intro, my name is Rick and I'm a M6, R8 and R6.2 user.  A quick zip
back in time if I may.  I was watching while the big bun fight was happening
on the M6 backplate film scratching thread.  Very entertaining!  Problem is,
mine is also scratching films like nobodies business, and my clients
(parents of junior soccer players photographed in team shots and individual
portraits) will not be impressed when I have to ask the young ones to sit
again for the individual shots.  The team shots taken with the 8 are fine
(thank God!).  I've been using the new remote control and it's just the
thing for firing when the scrum in front of the lens are looking happy.  But
I'm not very impressed with Mr M at the moment.  The scratches have damaged
the negs beyond recovery.

The scratching happens randomly from what I can tell.  Cleaning the
backplate religiously between reloads doesn't seem to reduce the likelihood
of the next film being scratched.  I have always thought the backplate
looked rather roughly machined.  So, could I please ask for a refresher on
the best solution and if known, the batch of serial numbers that were
causing the problem.

As you can imagine I'm lacking confidence in the camera, which is a pity,
because the M6 really is the best machine for the portrait work I do.  I can
tell if the shot has worked as I can see exactly what the subject's face was
doing as the shutter went 'click'.  Never quite know with an SLR.  Some of
the kids don't believe I've taken the picture, as the flash didn't go off
(they point at the viewfinder).  So far I've not had an eight year old who
understands about fast lenses and the advantages of ambient light.  Their
parents understand when they see the prints, which are better than anything
they've seen before.  My neighbour, who is allowing me to use his computer
to send this post, has just said that if I used his C**** I'd never have
this problem.  He reckons that with a Leica one needs to kneel and face to
the east at the rising of the sun, holding the offending body out to the
Gods, seeking devine intervention to bring off a troublefree working day.
Hmmmmm.  Sounds like a good way to find a leitz-leak to me.

Anyway, looking forward to your thoughts on my scratchy M6.  I'm keen for it
to be restored as my favorite of favorites.  Thanks.

Rick.