Subject: RE: [Leica] R-8
From: "Clompus, Dr. Richard [INN]" <RCLOMPUS@INNUS.JNJ.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 10:29:15 -0400

Fellow LUGnuts,

Wilber wrote:
		Maybe what we're seeing are the shake out bugs with this
being a new creature as such. Please I really would like to hear from the
R-8 LUG'ers out there.

I bought a new R8 over a 18 months ago and its been fine since day 1.  I
added the winder to it and it has worked without a hitch.  The batteries
never seem to wear out and the exposures are dead on.  I also use an R6.2
and find it works just as flawlessly.  After using the R8, the R6.2 seems
small and not as comfortable to hold.  I added the winder to the R6.2 which
makes it better to handle but not as nice as the R8.  The R8 has about as
much automation as I would ever want.  If I need to use an instruction
manual to figure out how to use a camera, its probably not for me.  I use
the Metz 45-3 and the newer Leica flash and still have a bit to learn about
auto fill-in.  When I travel, the weight is just too much so I always revert
back to my trusted friend - a beat up black M6.  The worse it looks on the
outside, the better I feel using it.  The lens of choice is the 35/1.4
non-aspherical with the 75/1.4 as a back up.  I have a spare black M6 that
is still new but don't like using it as much as my user M6.  I once saw a
black M4 (I think) that had much of the black paint worn off exposing the
brass underneath. It was beautiful.  I must have a sick sense of beauty.
The worse it looks, the more it appeals to me.  It must be a "Leica
Disease."

Happy shooting,

Richard