Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Again (slightly off-topic)
From: Christer Almqvist <chris@almqvist.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:55:24 +0000

Richard (the original poster) had great negatives, wonderful prints but
practically invisible frame numbers.  I would say, as long as the prints
are wonderful, why worry? As negatives may look different depending on the
developer used, I never compare negatives after a film test. The proof of
the pudding is in looking at the prints. I am glad Richard got wonderful
prints.

Like Greg, I need longer development times than those stated in Kodaks
(excellent) tables. Somebody wrote here that the time compensation Greg
refers to  is only needed when the number of films stated are developed at
the same time, and that he had this information from somebody who had
called Kodak and had been told so. This may be so. I still need longer
development times than the table states. Actually I need exactly those
times I get when I apply the compensation factor...... You will only get
development times that are valid for YOU (and your method of measuring
exposure times and developing) by making a test. It is really worth the
time to test out a film, three different development times should be
enough, and in each case shoot series of exposures from plus two stops to
minus two stops. But do not change any variable such as agitation,
thermometer etc etc.

BTW one good reason to use Xtol is that it is environment friendly. There
is a similar developer for prints, the Agfa Neutol PLUS which I have been
using for the last year and  since then I use my fingers for pulling  the
prints out of the developer

>Hello Luggers.
>I've struggled with the amount of XTOL needed per roll of 135-36 film for
>some time, and I have been given a variety of opinions despite the fact that
>we all read the same directions. In the Kodak technical sheet J-107 which
>deals with XTOL for use in small tanks and trays there is a time
>compensation table which indicates that no time compensation is needed for 1
>to 5 rolls per liter of full strength developer. I read that as meaning that
>up to an amount of 200 ml/roll no time increase is needed. For 6 to 10
>rolls/liter, the development time should be increased by  15%. As 10
>rolls/liter is 100 ml /roll, wouldn't that indicate a 15% increase in
>development time for the often quoted amount of 100 ml/roll?
>
>I'll join those who praise the qualities of XTOL. It truly is a remarkable
>developer with fine grain and consistent results.
>
>Regards,
>Greg Achenbach

>>> Voice: (216) 368-2338
>>> Fax: (216) 368-6674

- --
christer almqvist
eichenstrasse 57, d-20255 hamburg, fon +49-40-407111 fax +49-40-4908440
14 rue de la hauteur, f-50590 regnéville-sur-mer, fon+fax +33-233 45 35 58