Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Again (slightly off-topic)
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 08:00:15 +0200

Greg,

You have it exactly right. If you are using 100ml of pure XTOL per film, you
need to adjust the time as described. I fell into this trap when I first started
using XTOL, thinking that the table applied to reuse of developer only.

Nathan

Greg Achenbach wrote:

> Hello Luggers.
> I've struggled with the amount of XTOL needed per roll of 135-36 film for
> some time, and I have been given a variety of opinions despite the fact that
> we all read the same directions. In the Kodak technical sheet J-107 which
> deals with XTOL for use in small tanks and trays there is a time
> compensation table which indicates that no time compensation is needed for 1
> to 5 rolls per liter of full strength developer. I read that as meaning that
> up to an amount of 200 ml/roll no time increase is needed. For 6 to 10
> rolls/liter, the development time should be increased by  15%. As 10
> rolls/liter is 100 ml /roll, wouldn't that indicate a 15% increase in
> development time for the often quoted amount of 100 ml/roll?
>
> I'll join those who praise the qualities of XTOL. It truly is a remarkable
> developer with fine grain and consistent results.

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator