Subject: [Leica] Re: Noctilux VS 75mm Now DOF
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 21:38:43 -0700

Thanks Bob... :-)

Jim

At 08:10 PM 7/7/99 -0700, you wrote:

>These programs confirm that Jim is correct.  The reason the Summilux has
"less" DOF than the Noctilux at the same subject distance is because it has
a smaller field of view.  They will give identical DOF at equivalent
f/stops only if you move in with the Noctilux to frame the identical image.

>Now, to answer Jim's project, I looked at the Leica brochure and found
that the Noctilux has a 45 deg field and focuses to 1 meter, while the
Summilux has a 31 deg field and focused to .75 meter.

>Using the handy calculator, at their respective close focus distances (as
reported in the brochure) the Noctilux has a DOF of .9 in and the Summilux
has a DOF of .3 in.  Jim is again correct!