Subject: [Leica] 11817 & MLU Performance
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 08:27:29 -0400

All,

Two published items of note:

First, that august publication, Popular Photography, which I know many
of you consider as second only to the Bible, recently wrote about the
effects of mirror lock-ups on lens performance. The results were
astonishing, in many cases DOUBLING or better the performance (as
measured by resolution) of the telephoto lens used at middle to low
shutter speeds. All shots were made using various tripods. This blew me
away, as it savagely indicted any handheld telephoto work using ANY
maker's long glass, at least at anything below 1/1000th (Erwin was
right!, again). These results have been under discussed by the LUG.
Comments?

Second, the Viewfinder just published a fascinating article which
alleges that the 50 Summicron version produced from 69-79 is in fact the
definitive performing 50 Summicron, owing to its cost-no-object design,
later abandoned for the current simpler/cheaper-to-manufacture design.
Stephen Gandy (cameraquest) had one up for sale on Ebay before the
article came out, it didn't reach his reserve, so I asked what he
wanted, and he's now keeping the lens. So what's the deal? Can anyone
comment on the performance of 11817?

David W. Almy
(Vacationing on the East End of Long Island)