Subject: [Leica] Re: Security
From: "Paul T. Collura" <pcollura@epix.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 09:44:48 -0400

> > Must've been any awfully dinky tourist or else a thief on a Harley using a
> > grappling hook roped to the handlebars.  At 6'4", 265 lbs. I'd like to see
> > someone come by on a scooter, grab my waistpack with one hand and drag me
> > helplessly to my death.
> > DT
>
>   This is correct. many people have been badly injured. Maybe it can't happen
> to you, but then not everybody weighs probably 300 pounds and is at the same
> time always alert and ready for anything. You have probably traveled
> extensively in Rome and know all the pitfalls and the workings of the crooks
> there by hart.
> > >This has nothing to do with bashing. This are bare facts.

I am 5'7", 175 lb. and hardly imposing physically.  I have spent over six weeks in
Rome over the years beginning in 1964, last time being in 1998, without a problem.  I
have never had anything stolen let alone seen an untoward incident.  Much of this time
I was single and traveling alone.  For approximately two weeks of that time,  my wife
was with me and she too had not one single untoward incident.  I always travel with my
Leicas and always have one or two dangling from my neck.  Maybe I'm lucky but I don't
think foreign travel is that perilous if one uses common sense.  I would be much MORE
concerned about traveling in any number of American cities  i.e. Camden, Jersey City,
Newark, Detroit, L.A. etc. etc.

Paul T. Collura