Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: need help with R3
From: "Dennis Warters" <dbsvideo@gci-net.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 23:11:25 -0700

	Yesterday I received my copy of Thomas Tomosy's "Leica Camera Repair
Handbook".  On the section covering the R3 he suggests checking the camera
on "B" and "X" before disassembly.  If the camera works on those settings
then the problem is electronic in nature.  He attributes most of these
problems to dirty battery contacts.  He warns not to scrape or sand the
contacts but to use a small wire brush in a Dermel.   In my own electronics
repair business I have found that the white or green kitchen scrubbers are
perfect for this; not to harsh on the plating (but cleans the crap off).  He
then explains that the small quantity of acid that seeps from the batteries
can leave a deposit that is high in resistance.  He recommends using Windex
to clean it off ( this is his approved cleaner for lenses too!!).  After
checking the batteries with a voltmeter I would also clean them with Windex
( or Isopropyl alcohol ).  If that still doesn't do it for you send it out
or try the book yourself.  The R3 disassembly didn't look too complex, and
the electronics are very basic, located on top of the camera.
	The book was only $35.91 w/shipping from Amazon.  A very reasonable deal
considering the wealth of information it contains. Although most of it is
geared toward the professional repairman I found it fascinating to learn
about the inner workings of the only possession that I've never taken apart.
Dennis

W. Dennis Warters Jr
DBS Video
dbsvideo@gci-net.com