Subject: Re: [Leica] 24mm M view finder
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@club-internet.fr>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:07:39 +0100

>Two days ago I was going to buy  a 24mm view finder for the M6  so I went to
>a shop in NYC,  they asked US$340 for the finder, the surprise came when I
>saw the finder, all plastic and the thing that goes into the M6 hot shoe
>seems to be flimsy ( to be just glued to the finder body) the finder seems
>to be not rugged at all, from the optical point of view seems to be ok. Has
>any one had any experience with this device ? , is it worth the price (from
>the durability point of view)? is there any alternative ?
>
>J.Saravia

j.

i just wanted to put in my slightly belated 2¢ on this one. i recently
purchased the elmarit m 24 lens with the finder - i really like to frame my
shots and did not wasn't prepared to guesstimate coverage shooting w/out a
viewfinder. to answer your questions, i would say that, though the finder
is expensive (and you can certainly find it for less than $340. - don
chatterton has it listed for $275. and b & h is something like $295., if i
recall. i got mine at tamarkin during their recent 'leica day' sale), it is
worth the price to me, for the reasons i mentioned above. does it seem
flimsy and cheaply made? i wouldn't say flimsy, though it definitely
doesn't inspire confidence, and doesn't look nearly as sturdy as the metal
ones that used to be made for the 21mm. it is relatively difficult to put
on and take off, and i admit i'm afraid to break it when doing so - i'm
just extra careful at those moments (i also recall that just after i bought
mine, one lugger (b.d.?) related that he had just broken off the finder
shoe without realizing it when he removed it from the camera body). the
only alternatives that i can imagine would be 1) using leica's 21mm finder
(or the heliar 15mm finder) and 'guesstimating', 2) make a 24mm frame for
either of the above finders, 3) use the skopar 25mm finder and live with
the 1 degree difference.

guy