Subject: [Leica] Hood for 35 summicron RF
From: WILLIAM CALDWELL <sneeker@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 22:00:44 -0400

SNIP --
Michael Garmisa wrote:

Hi,
I recently purchased a 35 summicron RF for my M3 (still awaiting its
arrival).  Anyways I would like to get a hood for this.  According to
Erwin's site the correct hood is 12538, can I use the 12504, 12524 or
the Asph hood (12526).  Also are there any substantial differences
between these? (vented, caps, reversible etc....)  Although I dont think
they will, do any or all of these obscure the M3 viewfinder? remember
this is the RF version.

SNIP --

Michael,

The original hood for the f/2 35mm Summicron RF was the 12585H or the
12585, which is a vented metal hood.  The 12585 hood mounts on the outer
lens flange (squeeze bayonet clips on the hood) and fits over an E-39
filter, which screws into the lens.

The 12504 hood is a later slightly wider metal vented hood for the f/1.4
35mm and the f/2 35mm without the finder.  It may be used on the RF
though.  The 12504 hood unscrews (separates into two pieces) to accept a
Series 7 filter and it has bayonet clips to attach to the outer lens
flange.

The 12538 hood is a plastic vented hood that was furnished with the last
f/2 50mm Summicron made without a built in hood.  However, it is the
mirror image of the earlier 12585 metal hood and may be used on the f/2
35mm RF.  Because the f/2 35mm RF has a scooped focusing lever or tab
none of the above hoods reverse on the lens.  The lens is so short
though it is not a problem.

The 12524 retangular hood is for the fourth computation 11310 lens
starting above serial no. 2974250 and introduced in 1979.  I don't know
whether the 12524 hood will fit on the RF, but it is my recollection
that the 12524 has a guide tab at the top of the hood, which fits into
the later lens to keep the rectangular hood from turning on the 11310
lens. I believe that protuding tab at the top dead center of the hood
prevents the use of the 12524 hood on the earlier Summicron lenses.

Hope the above helps -- Best of Light,

Bill Caldwell
Northern Virginia
MidAtlantic LUG