Subject: [Leica] Re: "FIAVI" bracket for centering Leica on tripod/panorama
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 99 09:40:00 +1000

Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net> wrote:

>> I can't comprehend the importance of the
>> rotation being off the center socket rather than the side one.
>>
>> Would some one please be so kind as to explain this to me??
>>
>> Mary (de Milo)
>
>The shooting of spliced panoramics?

Yes, since you need to correct for paralax misalignment
between shots when you turn the camera.

To fully correct for paralax however, you need move the
camera back a bit to centre the axis of rotation through
the nodal point of the *lens* - ie, the point where the
light rays cross over inside the lens.

These mounts can get pretty complicated.  I have photos
of mine on my equipment page (hey, I do this stuff for
a living!)

<www.nemeng.com/equipment>

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth