Subject: [Leica] Re: Attacment for centering and using M6 on tripod
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 16:24:41 -0700

As I've mentioned many times, I solved the M6 tripod problem in a way that
serves me perfectly.

I use a Tom A. Rapidwinder. I don't even know where the original camera
base plate is... The rapid winder is always on.

I took a Kirk PZ-31 camera plate and mounted it on the bottom of the
Rapidwinder, the lip toward the front of the camera. I marked, on the
plate, where the Rapidwind lever was. I removed the plate and cut it off
just behind the lever mark. I filed the corners off to make everything
smooth and rounded, and mounted it back on my Rapidwinder.

It does NOT interfere with the normal operation of my M6 in any way. I do
not even know it is there. The Rapidwinder lever operates normally. As a
matter of fact, when using a very slow shutter in a place not suitable for
tripod use, this little bump on the camera bottom provides a finger hold to
steady the camera.

If I'm using very slow film, and/or know that I'm going to want humongous
DOF, I carry a small Gitzo carbon tripod, with B1 ball head, over my
shoulder using a Gitzo tripod strap. Head down because it is the heaviest
part of the tripod. When I need the tripod, it comes off of my shoulder,
quickly sets up, and the camera quickly clamps, centered, into the B1. I
carry a small cable release in my pocket.

I've used this set-up for a year now. Carted it all over Europe last
September. It is slick, convenient, and, for me, a wonderful solution to
the M6 tripod dilemma.

It's no longer a dilemma. It works.

Jim