Subject: [Leica] Costa Rica and Camera Theft
From: "Rich Jackson" <richj@infotechworks.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 09:22:19 -0400

Mark:

I want to follow up again on the issue of camera theft. Like Bill Lawlor
also mentioned this is a big hazard in Costa Rica as well as most other less
"well to do" countries that I have traveled in. You have to be very careful
and you MUST hide your equipment - even when you are using it. The
difference is that I would not leave your equipment at home. What good does
it do to have great equipment if you can not use it on a trip like you are
about to take?

Here is what I do (and recommend). I have about $10,000 in Leica equipment.
I take out an insurance policy each year that covers 100% replacement of my
camera equipment is stolen or damaged. This policy costs about $100 and
covers travel. I can not remember the underwriter but I got it from the
insurance agent that covers my home. I also carry an Olympus Stylus Epic (a
great $100 point and shoot). The Olympus fits in my shirt pocket and can be
exposed to bad weather. I never carry my exposed film with my equipment and
if I get ripped off I have the Olympus as a back up and will get a new set
of equipment when I get home. If I carry all or most of my equipment with me
on an excursion I stuff it into a small low class looking back pack and make
sure that the back pack is on my shoulders ALL the time. When I carry my
camera I always have either a travel vest of a light wind breaker on and
slip my camera into the side of the jacket while walking around.

If you take this approach and take caution then you should be able to enjoy
your equipment and get the pictures that you want.

Rich Jackson
richj@infotechworks.com