Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: OT: GeoCities users take note
From: "John Hudson" <jahudson@direct.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 16:20:39 -0700

- -----Original Message-----
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Wednesday, June 30, 1999 4:18 PM
Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: GeoCities users take note

>No one in their right mind should agree to these terms. LUGgers... get the
>hell off of Geocities/Yahoo!
>
>Jim

I just had the following comment from another list regarding the original
statement which said that "Personally, we, as a family, are pulling all of
our work from Geocities".

" .....good luck - that's another problem people have had when they tried to
do just that - you can't even get to your pages to change or delete them
without agreeing to the new policy !!!!!  "

Sounds to me that Geocities might not be the place to hang up one's photos!

jh

>At 03:33 PM 6/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Dear Leica Users,
>>
>>I know that several of us have pages at Geocities.  With the recent
>>acquisition of Geocities by Yahoo, there has been a (to me) significant
change
>>in the agreement for service.  As I read the new agreement, it appears
that by
>>posting on the Geocities pages, I am giving up my copyright to any
materials I
>>have on their server.
>>
>>News stories concerning the changes can be found at:
>>
>>http://www.wired.com/news/news/technology/story/20472.html
>>http://www.internetnews.com/wd-news/article/0,1087,10_147231,00.html
>>
>>this was posted TODAY, July 29, 1999
>>
>>The new agreement can be found at http://cos.yahoo.com/info/terms
>>
>>Pay particular attention to paragraph 8 of the agreement, "Contents
Submitted
>>to Yahoo."  Basically you appear to be granting Yahoo the royalty-free
>>perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive and fully sublicensable right and
>>license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create
>>derivative works from....your work.
>>
>>Personally, we, as a family, are pulling all of our work from Geocities.
You