Subject: [Leica] Costa Rica
From: "R Jackson" <rjackson@applied-mgmt.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:17:02 -0400

Mark:

My wife and I took a 3 week vacation in Costa Rica, Panama and the San Blas
islands this March (some pictures can be seen at
www.quilts-n-art.com/photos )

We went virtually all over Costa Rica from the beaches on the west coast to
Montverde. I took an M6 and M4 along with 50, 35 and 90 mm lenses. I packed
my equipment in a waterproof LowePro case that holds a carrying case inside
(the model is the Omni Sport) all in all I found this to be a good traveling
case.

I do have several strong recommendations:

1. MOISTURE: The Rain Forests (and Cloud Forests) are not only damp they are
in a state of constant mist (when it is not raining). The closest comparison
I can make is it is like walking through the misting section they have for
vegetables in your local supermarket - truly wonderful. If you are going to
Montverde make sure that you have some rain gear (remember that this is a
very warm climate). Also take along a handful of plastic baggies - when you
are hiking thru the rain forest simply wrap your Leica in a baggie and let
it hang from your neck. This is the quickest way to protect your camera.

2. THEFT: The one thing I should warn you about is theft! I had someone try
to steal my camera equipment in downtown San Juan - this was a staged 3
person event where one person goes up to you and "accidentally" spills
something on you (or squirts you with mustard while walking by) - another
person then comes up and offers to help you get cleaned off - during this
process you generally put your camera bag down and then a third person comes
out of no where and steals your equipment. This is a standard practice in
San Juan and other parts of Costa Rica. BE CAREFUL - DO NOT carry your
camera equipment conspicuously - there are a lot of thieves and they can
spot expensive equipment from a distance. When I was in a populated areas I
NEVER openly carried my camera bag or case - I used a small back pack to
carry the LowePro case and then kept one of my Leica cameras around my neck
with the body hidden in a loose wind breaker or travel vest. This is
inconvenient but it does hide your valuable equipment.

3. DUST: Depending on where you are it is as important to protect your
equipment from dust as it is from water. Again the baggie routine works
great (I used the same routine while I was in Tanzania Africa for three
months). The one difference is that you should carefully clean your
equipment at the end of the day. Take along a soft camera brush along with
plenty of leans cleaning stuff.

4. FILM: I am sure there could be a long debate on this but I found that
overall the best speed to use was 400 ASA. This allowed me to take pictures
early in the AM and evening without having to change film. REMEMBER that
less than 40 percent of the light that is available get through the rain
forest cover. IF you take this route then you MUST also take along neutral
density filters for taking pictures in open day light.

5. TRIPOD: I took a Gitzo G026 tripod (a bit expensive but a great tripod
for Leicas). Basically I NEVER used it - in the end it was just added
weight. Unless you are taking specific pictures leave this item at home.

ALSO let me know where you are going  - I may have a few suggestions on
sights to see and travel guides to use.

Hope this helps

Rich Jackson
richj@infotechworks.com