Subject: Re: [Leica] keep M3 or get back M6?
From: Guido Soprano <guidosoprano@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:42:16 EDT

Eric,

My $0.02

it really depends on what subjects you shoot, what film you use, and what
lenses you use.

If you use the 50 DR and don't plan to go to a 35, and shoot B&W, then learn
a specific film's behaviour under different lighting conditions, and your M3
is perfect - though the DR ergonomics are less perfect than the regular
'cron.

You can also do this w/color neg.

If you shoot 'chrome, then it's a different story, and the TTL meter allows
you a higher percentage of correct exposures in fast moving situations. Of
course you'll still have to think about the area metered, reflectivity of
subject, film characteristics, etc.

If the majority of your subjects are slow moving, static, or
directed-by-you, then use an incident meter and 'chrome will be fine to.

If the aesthetics of the M3 dominate your approach, consider sticking an
MR(4) on top. In theory it spot-meters to the 90mm frameline coverage. Sucks
in low light, has some adventages in cetain street conditions.

Now, my biased opinion (I have 4xM3's, 1xM2, 1xM4, 2xM6's, 1xCL, 3xSL), I
wouldn't get hung up on the M3's aesthetics over the other bodies. Consider
the application first. Think more about the end, and then about the means.

best of (not-too-contrasty) light,

Guido