Subject: Re: [Leica] keep M3 or get back M6?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 01:09:18 -0700

Eric Chong wrote:

> hi LUGgers
>
> I'm in deep shit.  I'm getting lazy and I hate to bring out my Sekonic
> meter. So... many a times I wish my trusty M3 has a meter on-board! Of
> course, the perfect solution is to get a M6J!!!
>
> Now, I have many friends waiting to get my minty SS M3 with serial over 1.1
> million.  I will miss the retro styling, the smooth advance level, the
> rewind knob (which I burnt my fingers while winding used film), the nice .91
> mag on 50 frame lines, the  super-safe film loading (as opposed to M6's
> wind-and-guess method) and many others. I have ordered a 5cm bright-line
> finder for my 50 DR Summicron with a metal shade for this lens. This
> combination is SOLID and CLASSIC. This is the kit used by war photographers
> during the vietnam war, indo-china and so on...
>
> The joke is that my first M is a M6 classic, then I sold it to get this M3
> thro' my friends as I like it's 50 lines and classsic beauty.. but the
> meterless design is inconvenient.
>
> SO... what do my crazy friends of LUG think? What do u suggest? Should i
> keep my M3 or sell it together with Sekonic meter .. for a M6 classic? One
> thing is that with the cash, I can still buy a used 90 summicron (early
> version with removable head for viso...). Hmmmm....
>
> thanks
>
> ericssan

Don't buy and sell.
Keep and shoot.
When you get the cash together get the M6 and you have two bodies,
just as important to most systems as more than one lens.
You understand the finer points of the M3, you will miss it.
It is more classic than an M6 and you appreatiate that.
Learn to use your camera. Spend money on film and save for the M6.
Learn your lens, you'll be able of course to use it on both of your bodies.
When the time comes get the 90. Then you'll have two bodies and two
lenses. A body for each lens.
You can use the Meter on your M6 for both cameras. But don't sell your
meter. Get to know it, use it. Lots of cameras don't have meters and
meters in cameras break.
IF you really don't need two bodies down the line or if you realize a
real preference through use;
THEN SELL ONE
That's my opinion. Less buying and selling. No trading in. Only dump it
if you really don't like it.
Marry your cameras. They will appreatiate it and work harder for you.
They don't like a here today gone tomorrow atmosphere.
Make them feel wanted and comfortable. Love them. Fondle them. Don't be
so quick to sell them out or sell them short.
Mark Rabiner    This is my best post in a month. Meanwhile I'm missing
Dark City. I'll have to rent it!