Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 mm Collapsible
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 12:22:42 +0000

><< I have a 90 Elmar M collapsible which takes beautiful pictures and in my
> opinion  beats the quality I get with my 90 elmarit-M which is a rather
> flary lens.
>
> Dan K. >>
>Are you speaking of the 1st M-mount Elmarit, or the current E46 model?  I've
>never encountered flare with the new one, and I'm one of those *horrid*
>UV-filter-always-except-with-backlit-scenes types
>DT

I have used the Thin Elmarit and was devastated by the flare with even
sidelighting insoite of an adequate shade.  I am using the current E46
elmarit which is slightly better but flare is still noticeable with
slightly angled backlighting.  I am now very careful to use it only with
the main light behind me.

On the other hand the 90 summicron is one superb lens and it is the top of
the crop (no experience with the APO one though).

Dan K.