Subject: [Leica] Canon, Nikon, and Leica
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:47:32 -0400

At 07:17 PM 6/25/99 -0400, Carl Socolow wrote:

>While I agree with you regarding content and style of photos done by
>herd mentality photographers, I disagree about your use of the term
>"slavishly" regarding Canon EOS1/1n equipment.

Canon has, over the past 12 or 15 years, made huge inroads into the PJ
market through the simple process of support.  Nikon no longer provides the
Erenreich-era level of service, while Canon does.  It's not that Nikon
makes bad cameras or Canon great ones, as their gear is comparable, as are
their lenses, in general (well, Canon probably gets a 105% here, Nikon a
95%, but let's not quibble over the fine print).

If I were a PJ today, I'd probably use Canon just to enjoy the sort of
perks which comes with the gear.  (And, in addition, my few efforts to use
Nikon have been horrid, while I've shot Canon for almost three decades with
excellent results, though some frustrations.)

Leica?  A few of the top PJ's use it but, I agree, it doesn't make much of
an impact among the average photo-journalist assemblage.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!