Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V9 #76
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:42:17 EDT

In a message dated 6/25/99 10:56:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
JimmyVenus@aol.com writes:

<< Dear Luggers-I am in need of some info regarding the Visoflex.Would this
unit
 enable me to focus my M lenses thru the lens with my M camera? >>

   Yes and no.  The Visoflex fits between the body and lens so it acts like
an extension tube.  Normal M lenses would become "macro" lenses and not focus
except at very close distances (inches).  Lenses designed specially for the
Viso, or the removable front lens assemblies "heads" of some of the older
lenses mounted in special short focusing mounts designed for the Viso can
focus all the way to infinity.
<<What are the differences between the models if any?>>
     The Viso I requires a double cable release to release the mirror and
camera shutter.  There's a Viso I with a rear bayonet mount that will fit the
M's, but all Viso I's have only screw-mount front mounts and therefore will
only accept screw-mount lenses.  The Viso II is the most compact; an arm
flips the mirror up and presses down on the M's shutter button at the same
time (you need to adjust the clearance to 1mm); you can get a 90-deg prism or
vertical finder.  The prism must be taken on and off each time the Viso is
mounted to the body, as the Viso bayonets on just like a lens.  The release
arm is also swung forward while the bayonetting takes place. Note that the
Viso II prism is very compact, but it will not clear the top-plate (so can't
be used) on an M5 or the new M6TTL.  The Viso II does not have an
instant-return mirror; a flick of a little tab does it.  The Viso III has a
spring-loaded mounting flange so it can be removed without taking off the
prism.  The Viso III prism (which will also fit the Viso II and vice-versa)
has a step which keeps it above the top plate so it will fit the M5 and
M6TTL.  The Viso III has an instant return mirror; however the arm assembly
has a lot more travel as a result.  I happen to prefer the Viso II.

 << Does the Visoflex require any exposure compensation?>>
If you use it with a lens (or lens head in focusing mount) designed to focus
at infinity, the answer is "no".  If you use it with a normal lens as an
extension tube, then "yes".  If you use the M5 or M6 you can meter TTL
(adjust the exposure by looking thru the finder at the meter display, just
like usual) and the compensation will be done automatically.

DT