Subject: Re: [Leica] 1930's look
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:25:27 -0400

And some disparage the 'look' of the old uncoated Summars and Elmars! These
are the lenses that 'defined' the Leica look way back when REAL
photographers used D-76 and didn't have TTL!   :o}~
I know, I probably will be flamed, but I always admired those old timers. We
have it incredibly easy compare to the timing of an exposure by uncapping
the lens, counting, then replacing the lens, hoping that all the variables
would fall just right and you'd get a decent photo! Even in the 20s-40s, it
wasn't all that easy, either!
Working in photofinishing, I am amazed at the progress made in the last 25
years in materials- the quality and consistancy is nothing short of amazing.
If you use, say, Iford MG VC paper, you KNOW that one box bought today will
be unbelievably like the next, so you don't have to 're-invent the wheel'
with each box to determine the paper speed.
I recall the time, and at 52, my wife keeps reminding me that this is not
Old Age yet, it was not so long ago that one had to determine the relative
speed of each batch I bought!!
I can just imagine what it was like when every batch of film, every batch of
paper, and possibly every batch of chemical represented a new set of
variables to deal with! Egads! ( as Marc might say) we are living in
wonderful times- photographically speaking!
Dan