Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: IIIg
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 23:28:48 +1000

Ken Wilcox wrote:

> Perhaps you don't get it. Not only is the IIIg a thing of beauty it is also
> the most hightly refined LTM. The vastly improved viewfinder alone is
> evidence of this. I have a IIIf and a IIIa as well as a IIf but the the
> IIIg is by far the best of the lot.
>
> Ken Wilcox
>

> I have to agree with Martin Howard. I think the 3G looks like something Leitz put
> together  when they could not think of anything new anymore for the screww mount
> cameras.

When I compare it to the lovely lines of the 3C or 3F, then it looks bulky and
oversized.The view finder looks like its just stuck on top. The quality of the finder
is nowhere near as good, as for example a Voigtlander Vitomatic of the same vintage.
However, it seems to me, the shutter mechanism  is much better than the previous screw
models. It is probably the same as the early M3 models.

By the way , I do own a 3G, and also most of the previous models. So there is no
jealousy involved.  But I also have to say: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Regards, Horst Schmidt.

N.B. I just come back from the movies. I watched the film : The Mummy. Most
entertaining. I recommend it for a good nights entertainment.