Subject: Re: [Leica] eBay Advice material world.
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 18:17:26 -0700

"Thomas G. Tamura" wrote:

> I too had a "negative" experience in regards to a eBay item.  Luckily it was
> a low priced item and the lens still functions okay.  The lens had suffered
> impact damage and was fixed with a plier as evidenced by numerous pin points
> in the barrel adjacent to the filter ring.  The barrel was also pained to
> cover any brassing.  The lens also had numerous "cleaning" marks on the
> front element and two scratches on the back element.  The descriptions made
> no mention of any of the above items and the seller said I should of asked
> before bidding.  He did say that it was in excellent condition with nice
> glass.  Now if someone tells me that the lens is in excellent condition and
> nice glass, why would I ask him if the lens was ever dropped!  Or why would
> he say nice glass when it has numerous cleaning marks and scratches.  He did
> offer me a return,  but I would have lost more than half of what I paid in
> fees and such.  He also said that I got a good deal, so why complain.
>
> The moral of my long story.  Ask as many questions as possible, especially
> if a photo is not included with the item.  I don't have to say it but,
> cosmetic (and apparently optical) condition ratings are very subjective.
> Don't ever ASS-U-ME anything.
>
> Thanks for reading and I am still looking for a M4-P or M6 body.  Please
> reply to me privately (for both subjects) as I sometimes don't have time to
> read the Leica Users Digest.
>
> Mahalo, Thomas  ttamura@aloha.net

The Ebay has jacked up the level of dickering involved with our camera
toys to all involving proportions for many of us.
I can anticipate an endless flow of "Not getting exactly what I wanted
but here's what I did or didn't do about it" stories.
I say "go ahead" to all those out there playing the Ebay game. Some day
I may join them.
It has changed the boundaries and nature of the great material world.
I have to say that I for one would like to put my vote in for having
heard eneugh of it.
I can see the lug half turning into a continual sounding board for our
Ebay trails and tribulations and I can live without it.
But people are going to talk about what they want to talk about and I'm
generally not one to put a damper on what people want to talk about.
In this case there is no mention as to if the lens in question is Leica
or not.
I would at least vote for Ebay stories be confined to Leica and not the
ever involving material world.
Mark Rabiner