Subject: [Leica] eBay Advice
From: "Thomas G. Tamura" <ttamura@aloha.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:37:36 -1000

I too had a "negative" experience in regards to a eBay item.  Luckily it was
a low priced item and the lens still functions okay.  The lens had suffered
impact damage and was fixed with a plier as evidenced by numerous pin points
in the barrel adjacent to the filter ring.  The barrel was also pained to
cover any brassing.  The lens also had numerous "cleaning" marks on the
front element and two scratches on the back element.  The descriptions made
no mention of any of the above items and the seller said I should of asked
before bidding.  He did say that it was in excellent condition with nice
glass.  Now if someone tells me that the lens is in excellent condition and
nice glass, why would I ask him if the lens was ever dropped!  Or why would
he say nice glass when it has numerous cleaning marks and scratches.  He did
offer me a return,  but I would have lost more than half of what I paid in
fees and such.  He also said that I got a good deal, so why complain.

The moral of my long story.  Ask as many questions as possible, especially
if a photo is not included with the item.  I don't have to say it but,
cosmetic (and apparently optical) condition ratings are very subjective.
Don't ever ASS-U-ME anything.

Thanks for reading and I am still looking for a M4-P or M6 body.  Please
reply to me privately (for both subjects) as I sometimes don't have time to
read the Leica Users Digest.

Mahalo, Thomas  ttamura@aloha.net